Well, for those who don't know already, I have made the decision to leave my employer of 7+ years (Appleby & Company) to go to work for the Fresno County Sheriff. As of 4:15pm today, I am unemployed (only for 2 days). I start work for the Fresno County Sheriff on Monday, May 19th.
From what I understand I will be more utilized as a programmer instead of support/programming/management/catch-all. I will be the programmer that is brought in to work on various projects on any given day. I'll be working on one project one day and possibly a different project the next day. It is going to be challenging as I learn and expand my skills farther beyond what I have learned at Appleby. I'm looking forward to it.
It was a difficult decision but in the light of the changes our family is going through this year as we prepare to welcome the "bump" into our family. There were multiple reasons why I was looking for a change. The most important on being the benefits package that the county offers. Through the county we will be able to get one of the best health care packages and retirement packages that can be found in our area. Also, working for the Sheriff there is no anticipated shortage of work anytime soon. I am highly looking forward to not being involved in the sales side of projects and am looking forward to enjoying being a customer. It will definitely be a change of pace for me. Oh, and a raise is always accepted since it will possibly allow Steph to stay home with the "bump" when she arrives.
I want to menion that without my time at Appleby & Company I would not be where I am today. Thank you to Steve, Nadine and the others for how they've helped me grow throughout the years. They have taught me many lessons on how to work with others, handle projects and work in stressfull situations that need to be resolved tactfully. I am thankful that they were able to bring me in many years ago and get me started on my path to programming and network administration. I hope that those left to fill my shoes (all 4 of them) will be eager to learn and take what I've helped the company work towards and keep it going for many years with a great reputation for customer service. I will still be working on various projects for Appleby as a contract programmer but that will be on a limited basis to finish up existing projects and help out as needed.
Since I have the next 2 days off I will be spending my time working around the house to get projects either finished, started or both. I am also planning on spending plenty of time relaxing before I get to start my new job on Monday. I think there may be some Mario Kart Wii in my near future!
Anyways, I'll post back when I have more info about the new job and how it is going.
Josh
1 comment:
Congrats on the change. We are really happy for the two and a half of you. I hope you enjoyed your days off with the cart and all. It's a blast, isn't it? Man, I could play that game for hours. Keep on posting and know that we're really looking forward to seeing you guys over the summer when you come up here to Oregon.
Ben
Post a Comment